Sunday, 5 February 2017

Review: Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson

Title: Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal
Series: Ms. Marvel (2014) (Collected Editions) #1
Written By: G. Willow Wilson
Art by: Adrian Alphona. Jake Wyatt
Publisher: Marvel
Pages: 120
Genres: Comics

Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City - until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? Find out as she takes the Marvel Universe by storm! When Kamala discovers the dangers of her newfound powers, she unlocks a secret behind them, as well. Is Kamala ready to wield these immense new gifts? Or will the weight of the legacy before her be too much to bear? Kamala has no idea, either. But she's comin' for you, New York! Collecting MS. MARVEL (2014) #1-5.
I'm going to be brutally honest here, but I literally only picked up this trade to fulfil one of the challenges in the 2017 Read Harder Challenge (18. Read a superhero comic with a female lead). I would not have picked it otherwise because I really dislike superhero comics.

It was not all bad though as there were elements of this volume I really enjoyed. The diversity was interesting, it's not everyday a female Muslim with a Pakistani heritage is the heroine. I really enjoyed reading about her struggles being a teenage girl whilst clashing with her family, there was some really funny witty dialogue... BUT there were many things I really disliked. I'm not really too familiar with the Marvel universe and I don't understand how Kamala got her powers. Her powers were a bit lame as well, so she can change size and make her hands massive, she's basically that eighties toy, Mr. Stretch. Yeh.... not too blown away by that.

I didn't like the art style either, which is of course due to my personal taste and the lettering was a bit bland as well. The villains were unimpressive, especially the guy with a cockatoo head and the robot crabs. Like I said I find superheroes boring and I was stifling a yawn through the last half of the volume. I think I would have enjoyed the story more if the super powers were cut out completely and it just focused on Kamala's experience growing up in Jersey.

Unfortunately this was not my cup of tea. I think Marvel fans could possibly enjoy it more than I.


No comments:

Post a Comment