Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Review: Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Ruin and Rising
Series: The Grisha #3
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher:  Orion Children's Books
Pages: 384
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

SHADOW AND BONE. SIEGE AND STORM. Now Alina's story reaches its incredible conclusion in RUIN AND RISING.

The capital has fallen. The Darkling rules Ravka from his shadow throne. Alina will have to forge new alliances and put aside old rivalries as she and Mal race to find the last of Morozova's amplifiers. But as Alina begins to unravel the Darkling's secrets, she reveals a past that will forever alter her understanding of the bond they share and the power she wields. The firebird is the one thing that stands between Ravka and destruction - but claiming it could cost Alina the very future she is fighting for.
This is the final book in The Grisha trilogy and this review may contain spoilers of the previous two books.

I had been putting off reading Ruin and Rising for a couple of months now as I was very aware of the polarised opinions about how the trilogy wraps up. It definitely did not end how I thought it would and I was left with a bittersweet feeling.

I think overall this is a solid conclusion to the trilogy, it was just not the ending that I wanted. The book opens with Alina being kept against her will by the Apparat underground; but she still needs to find the third amplifier and somehow defeat the new ruler of Ravka, the Darkling. There is lots of action but also lots of things are revealed. The Darkling is one of my favourite characters in this trilogy, and I loved learning more about him and his mother, Baghra. I don't think his character was given enough justice in this book and I feel like there was a wasted opportunity in exploring his character and his motivations. What happened to Nikolai was just bizarre, I was not a fan. If you have read this book you will know what I am talking about here.

I really do like this series but I really wish the ending was different, it broke my heart, though when I think about the evolution of Alina's character I kind of can understand why she chose the life that she did. Another little criticism is that although I had a couple of months break between reading book two and book three, I forgot about who most of the secondary characters were and I personally think there were too many of them and that a lot of them were not really needed.

Although the ending sucked, I think I am okay with it ultimately. I am glad I can finally move on and get started on the Six of Crows duology. I would recommend this trilogy and the accompanying short folk-tales as I think the magic system of the Grisha world is just brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment