Friday, 21 April 2017

March 2017 - Reading Wrap Up


March started out with me feeling like I didn't want to read much. I blame the books I read in February for this but I still managed to read a few books all the same. I also acquired a kitten in the beginning part of the month, who was a little handful! I can tell you. I didn't have a ton of desire to read in my free time. However I am really pleased with what I did manage to read.

My March reads were:


★★★ - Abigail's Party by Mike Leigh

A really fascinating 'state of the nation' play focusing on a gathering of neighbours on a street in the seventies. It was interesting, unfortunately I don't have much experience with reading plays, so its significance was a bit lost on me. I did watch a production of it that was available on YouTube, but I still didn't really get it. It was definitely enjoyable though. I don't have a separate review for this one, but thanks to Penguin for sending me a copy, I really appreciated being thought of.





★ - Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald

I was recommend this by one of my lovely friends and although I did really enjoy the story for what it was, I didn't completely fall in love with it. Its the story of a Swede, Sara, who travels to a small town in Iowa to visit her pen pal, Amy. Except when she gets there, she finds out Amy has sadly passed away. It follows the story of Sara as she sort of gets adopted by the town. Predictably there is some romance and such. It was cute, light and fluffy. I just wanted a bit more.





★ - A Darker Shade of Magic by V. E. Schwab

Another enjoyable enough read, I was really intrigued by this first book in the Shades of Magic trilogy. It follows Kell, a traveller who can travel between parallel Londons. It has lots of magic, cursed objects, royalty, a tough female character, villains. Standard fantasy really. Again there was nothing special about this one that ignited my passion. It was good, I can see why a lot of people would list this among their favourite books. It was just missing that unexplainable something for me. 





★ - A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Oh my gosh. I just loved this story. It's a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast, and its quite a polarising book. Flaws and all, I loved this story. It follows Feyre as she gets whisked away by a mysterious member of the fae, as punishment for some wicked thing that she did. The story goes from there and I would honestly urge anyone who was perhaps put off from reading it by a lot of the negative reviews, to just give it a go and make your own mind up about it. I was glad I finally got around to reading this. It was so good! It has some steamy content though, so it's not for anyone who feels like they can't handle that. I would not categorise this series as YA.
OK so even if you hated the above book, I guarantee you will bloody love the knickers off the second book. Trust me! It is AMAZING. All the flaws of the first book are very neatly ironed out. It's not perfect, there is a wrinkle here and there, but I don't even care! I am complete trash for this series. I love it so much, I could gush about it forever and ever. Of course I can't go into the plot of this one without spoiling the first book but I cannot recommend this series enough. Trust me, if you love romance with your fantasy. This is the series for you. Its perhaps one to skip if you dislike romance of any kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment