Thursday, 4 May 2017

Review: A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Wings and Ruin
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #3
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Pages: 699
Genres: Fantasy, Romance

Feyre has returned to the Spring Court, determined to gather information on Tamlin’s maneuverings and the invading king threatening to bring Prythian to its knees. But to do so she must play a deadly game of deceit-and one slip may spell doom not only for Feyre, but for her world as well.

As war bears down upon them all, Feyre must decide who to trust amongst the dazzling and lethal High Lords-and hunt for allies in unexpected places.

The earth will be painted red as mighty armies grapple for power over the one thing that could destroy them all.
I don't think I have ever anticipated a book so much in my life. I read the previous two books back to back in March so I feel incredibly lucky I didn't have to wait longer than a couple of months to see how this story ends. Was it everything I expected/hoped for? Yes and no.

Don't get me wrong, A Court of Wings and Ruin is a brilliant read. The plot was so layered, so gripping and just EPIC. I thoroughly enjoyed every second reading it. I loved all of the little reveals and sub plots, I was completely satisfied this was going to be a solid five star book BUT then the ending happened. It wasn't a bad resolution, it was fine. Lots of people will love it but it wasn't to my personal taste and wasn't quite the ending I wanted.

From this point I am going to be talking generally (without revealing exact specifics) about the plot so I would highly recommend that if you want to be completely surprised, finish this book first before reading the rest of this review. 

The first and second part of this book was so strong. I was so riveted that I managed to read seven hundred pages in two days, which is highly unusual for me. Rhys and Feyre were just perfect, as always, with lots of sexy times, lots of smouldering between all of the other ships. It was all so well done... apart from Mor. There is a reveal towards the very end of the book which I found a bit clunky and not very well done at all. So yeh... not too impressed with how that was handled.

Tamlin. Oh my goodness. I had a lot of sympathy towards Tamlin in this book. He is suffering so much with unrequited love and when Feyre pretends that she loves him again at the start of this book. I felt so bad for him. I just knew there was something more to him that wasn't being shown. I feel like he could have been given more closure than he was ultimately given and I would have loved more scenes between him and Feyre. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Tamlin.

That ending though.... mega spoiler alert....


I am not against happily ever afters per se, but I want my characters to suffer soul crushing loss, and agony before ultimately finding peace and moving on. I'm just going to say it. Someone important had to die. Either Feyre or Rhys preferably. I was not a fan of everyone being safe and then from there on it was all sunshine and rainbows and happiness. That is just my personal preference though. I think the ending would have been more powerful and impactful to me if Rhys had stayed dead. I wanted to be ruined as the title suggests, but truth is I was not at all worried that any of the main characters were going to die because it was very obvious that they were always going to be safe.


Ultimately this was a great finale. I can't wait to see where the series goes from here. This is definitely one of my favourite series of all time.

No comments:

Post a Comment