Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Review: A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Title: A Little Princess
Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Publisher:  Puffin in Bloom
Pages: 320
Genres: Classics, Childrens

Alone in a new country, wealthy Sara Crewe tries to settle in and make friends at boarding school. But when she learns that she’ll never see her beloved father gain, her life is turned upside down. Transformed from princess to pauper, she must swap dancing lessons and luxury for hard work and a room in the attic. Will she find that kindness and genorosity are all the riches she truly needs?



What a delightful little story and almost completely different to the 1997 film. The original story is not actually set around the time of the First World War, and has a very different ending.

A Little Princess is about seven year old Sara Crewe who is sent to a boarding school in London to be educated. Her father is a British Officer stationed in India and so she has spent most of her life there, he also happens to be filthy rich so Sara is given every luxury at school. Then of course her father dies penniless and the story is about how Sara uses her imagination, hope and kindness in order to survive her grief and poverty. It's a really inspirational story.

I would have loved this book so much as a child, I really wished I had read it then as it would have had a major impact on me. But, you know, it was just as great reading it now and it really hit me in all the feels. I loved Sara's courage and mental strength. I especially appreciated the message that imagination and good stories really do help people get through tough times. I mean sure, Sara was a bit of a Mary Sue, but I found her inspirational. I think everyone could take a leaf out of Sara's book, and meet adversity with courage and hope. It was just a brilliant message.

I preferred the original book ending to the 1997 film ending because it seemed more realistic to me. I always found the film version to be a bit strange, but nonetheless, it's still a good adaptation overall. In short, A Little Princess is a beautiful, inspirational story that is well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment