Thursday, 3 August 2017

July 2017 - Reading Wrap Up




I was not too motivated to read this month. I felt like I wasn't in the mood for any of the books I picked up. In total I read five books.

 My July reads were:


★ - Heidi by Johanna Spyri

A really boring children's classic, in my opinion. I'm not sure if it was the translation or what but I really disliked this one. Heidi is sent to live with her Grandfather in the mountains until she is dragged back to the city to be a companion to a disabled girl. Its all about the power of faith and miracles. Really dull.








 - Bone Meal for Roses by Miranda Sherry

This is a coming of age story, set in South Africa. Poppy has had an unfortunate start in life and was severely neglected by her drug addict mother. When she is rescued by her grandfather, she finally finds home. There are lots of beautiful descriptions of nature and plants BUT again this didn't really have anything too special in it for me.








★★★ - Wing Jones by Katherine Webber

 A young adult novel focusing on Wing Jones, a mixed race teen trying to come to terms with a huge tragedy in her life. When she discovers a love of running she never knew she had, her family's fortunes begin to change. I enjoyed this one for what it was but again, its rare that young adult contemporaries resonate with me and so this ended up being just an average read for me.







 - Tears of Tess by Pepper Winters


A 'dark' romance focusing on Tess's abduction and sale into sexual slavery. Not for the faint of heart, lots of questionable stuff in this book. Unless you are a fan of this type of story then I would steer clear as it is problematic in parts. I enjoyed it for what it was but I probably will not continue the series.
The best read of the month, this book is a really sweet romance. When Emeline is given the new bestseller to read by her roommate she has no idea that is based on her childhood and written by her childhood best friend. When Emeline realises, she is furious. A very unique format, a book within a book, I enjoyed every second reading this story. It ended perfectly and I would highly recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment