Wednesday, 2 August 2017

Review: Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry

Title: Loving Mr. Daniels
Author: Brittainy C. Cherry
Publisher: BCherry Books Publishing 
Pages: 354
Genres: Romance, New Adult

To Whom it May Concern,

It was easy to call us forbidden and harder to call us soulmates. Yet I believed we were both. Forbidden soulmates.

When I arrived to Edgewood, Wisconsin I didn’t plan to find him. I didn't plan to stumble into Joe's bar and have Daniel's music stir up my emotions. I had no clue that his voice would make my hurts forget their own sorrow. I had no idea that my happiness would remember its own bliss.

When I started senior year at my new school, I wasn’t prepared to call him Mr. Daniels, but sometimes life happens at the wrong time for all the right reasons.

Our love story wasn’t only about the physical connection.

It was about family. It was about loss. It was about being alive. It was silly. It was painful. It was mourning. It was laughter.

It was ours.

And for those reasons alone, I would never apologize for Loving Mr. Daniels.

-Ashlyn Jennings
Another average new adult romance, I did enjoy this one but it didn't have the wow factor for me. In fact, I've yet to read a good teacher-student romance, this one was just cute.

The story follows the predictable format of high school girl meets hot guy over the summer and sparks fly. However, when she returns to school, she realises the hot guy is in fact one of her teachers. I think presenting a teacher-student romance in this way makes it more acceptable than if they met at school and started a romance. Which would be a huge no no, but it happens! I've yet to find a book that goes there.

That aside, Ashlyn is likeable enough and so is Mr. Daniels. He is also just four years older than her as she had been kept back a year because of health reasons. Mr. Daniels is in a band and he is uber HOT and KEWL. To be honest the raunchy scenes were so tame that this book could have been a YA rather than new adult.

Loss is explored in this book as Ashlyn has just lost her twin sister to leukaemia and Mr. Daniels has lost both his parents. I don't have a whole lot to say about it, it was fairly predictable but the ending was really sweet. I just didn't feel anything for the characters, I felt very distant from them and I honestly didn't care what happened to them. To be quite frank, with these types of stories I want to be blown away with the feels, not stifling a yawn.

I would recommend this story for people who like low key contemporary new adult romances or people who like cute and sweet. I just like a little bit more of an edge to my romances, something a bit more thrilling.

No comments:

Post a Comment